Saturday, December 30, 2006

Installing Flashplayer 9

I'm going to add Flashplayer 9 my way. I've been using Flashplayer 9 for a while now with no apparent trouble. Go to: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html and click on 'download installer for Linux'. Click on 'save to disk' and 'do this automatically for files of this type'. I install most everything in/from /opt. Copy or move FP9_plugin_beta_112006.tar.gz to /opt. You will probably need to use 'sudo'. I prefer to open a terminal and type 'su -' so that I don't need to keep typing passwords. Here's the output from my terminal:

[glenn@dad ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@dad ~]# mv /home/glenn/Desktop/FP9_plugin_beta_112006.tar.gz /opt/

[root@dad ~]# cd /opt

[root@dad opt]# ls <-- List contents of folder
FP9_plugin_beta_112006.tar.gz

[root@dad opt]# tar xvfz <-- Extract contents of file
flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78/
flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78/libflashplayer.so
flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78/readme.txt

[root@dad opt]# cd flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78/ <-- Switch to the flashplayer folder

[root@dad flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78]# ls <-- List contents of folder

libflashplayer.so readme.txt

[root@dad flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78]# cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.8/plugins/ <-- Copy libflashplayer.so to default Firefox plugin folder

[root@dad flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78]# cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ <-- Copy libflashplayer.so to default Mozilla plugin folder

[root@dad flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78]#

Done. Restart Firefox. Type 'about:plugins' in the url bar. Flash should be listed and should work now.

After the install you can remove FP9_plugin_beta_112006.tar.gz if you desire.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. If I'm in error and need to make a correction please, by all means, let me know. I want all info presented here to be accurate.

No comments: