Saturday, January 20, 2007

installing Opera 9.1 in Fedore Gnome

I just downloaded and installed Opera 9.1 for Linux. Another easy task. I'm using it to write this blog post. I downloaded the .tar.gz version and the .rpm version. I moved them to /opt and decided to install the .tar.gz. As root, I typed tar xfvz op[tab]. Typing the first letter or two of the filename fills in the rest. Better than trying to remember the full name and much easier. This is the full command:
[root@dad opt\>#tar xfvz opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en.tar.gz
That unpacked the archive into it's own folder under /opt. Now I've learned to try these things in a terminal. If there are errors and /or the program fails to run, there's usually some good diagnostic output. So still as root, I changed to Opera's new folder and typed, in a terminal ./opera. Here's the output from the terminal.

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)
** Message: plugin_get_value 2 (2)
** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)
** Message: plugin_get_value 2 (2)
** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)
** Message: plugin_get_value 2 (2)
** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)
** Message: plugin_get_value 2 (2)
** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)
** Message: plugin_get_value 2 (2)
(process:3594): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2240: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
(process:3594): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe FlashPlayer: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying to call gtk_init(0,0);

After that fiasco Opera appeared on my screen and here I am. The first thing I did was to test the operation of Flash and Java. Flash works, Java doesn't. I think I'll try to figure out why I get the ld.so/libjvm.so error too. Looks like it might be related to Java, so I'll get Java working and run Opera from a terminal again to see if the output has changed. But that means that I have to end this post here for now, because I'll need to exit Opera to make the changes, or at least reload it when the changes are made.

I made changes. I linked Java to the /opt/opera/java folder and /opt/opera/plugins folder and it didn't work. Since I don't feel like beating myself up this morning I decided that this is enough effort. I can't get Java to work and I've looked for help on the web, but my patience is short for that sort of thing. I know that if I try hard enough I can get it to work, but not now. I gave up on the .tar.gz install of Opera and deleted it. Then I installed the .rpm version, like this:
rpm -Uvh opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en.rpm

That install was quick. An advantage of the .rpm install is that there is now a menu entry for Opera under /applications/Internet. But when I run Opera there's no terminal output to look at. Tested Java and Flash. Same thing. Flash works and Java doesn't. Gonna have to look some more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.