Saturday, October 13, 2007

Auto Login

If you use wireless to connect to the network and internet you may not want to use the auto login feature.
My preference is to be automatically logged in when I reach my Gnome desktop. Here's how to enable auto login for your user. On the top panel, select System > Administration > Login Screen. Enter the root password and the login window appears.

[[Image:login window1.png]]

Click on the '''users''' tab.

[[Image:login window2.png]]

and click the '''add''' button.

[[Image:login window3.png]]

Add your user name

[[Image:login window4.png]]

Click '''add''' once more. Now click on the '''security''' tab.

[[Image:login window5.png]]

On this screen you want to click the drop down boxes for '''Enable Automatic Login''' and '''Enable Timed Login''' and add yourself to the lists. Click the '''close''' icon and you are done. Now, every time you boot to your Gnome desktop you will be automatically logged in. No need to enter your user name and password.
Some people feel that auto login is a security risk. I'm sure it is on a multi-user system. My computers are all home machines. All the Linux boxes
are used by me and me alone except for the rare occasion where another family member might use the computer for a few minutes. No security issues here.


Back to [[Fedora 7]]

No comments: