Saturday, October 13, 2007

Install Fedora 7 to USB Stick

I installed Fedora 7 Live to my 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB stick. It was incredibly easy. First order of business was to backup my files on the stick, which really meant that I copied all of the files to a super secret location. Turns out that this wasn't necessary since when I was done with the install all of the files were still there. For the installation I followed the instructions at the [http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo Fedora Wiki]. The only steps I needed to execute were, in this order,
df -h
which showed my USB stick as /dev/sdb1,
rpm -q livecd-tools
which showed the livecd-tools was not installed, so I installed them with
su -c 'yum install livecd-tools'
I had already downloaded the Live iso file some time ago. It resided on a network folder so I copied it to my home folder making it more readily available for use. Then, in a terminal as root I issued the command
livecd-iso-to-disk Fedora-7-Live-i686.iso /dev/sdb1
and saw the following output
Copying live image to USB stick
Updating boot config file
Installing boot loader
USB stick set up as live image!

That's all I needed to do. There were no issues with the USB partition being not bootable and I didn't format the USB stick before installing the live ISO. The next step for me was simply to reboot and choose the USB stick as boot media. Fedora 7 booted like a champ.

No comments: