Saturday, October 13, 2007

Printer Setup

=====Printer Setup=====
I have an Epson Stylus C88+ printer attached to a networked Windows XP computer. These are the steps I take to install this printer under Fedora 7.
On the top panel select System > Administration > Printing. You will see the Printer Configuration screen.

[[Image:screenshot-printer1a.png]]

Click the '''New Printer''' icon and you see the '''New Printer''' dialog.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter.png]]

Enter a printer name, in my case '''Epson'''. Optionally you can enter a description and a location for the printer, but it's not necessary.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter2.png]]

Click the '''forward''' icon. The next dialog is where you choose the connection type for your printer.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter3.png]]

Since my printer is connected to a Windows XP box I select '''Windows Printer via SAMBA'''.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter4.png]]

Now I should be able to click on the arrow that is next to the name of my workgroup, '''johnson''', but that never seems to work so I add the printer location info manually, in the box just above the workgroup name. I know that the printer is attached to a computer called '''shrek''' in the workgroup '''johnson''', and the printer is actually named '''epson88''', so here's what I add, folowing the example that is provided by the utility.
smb://johnson/shrek:631/epson88

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter6.png]]

Click the '''verify''' icon and you should see a confirmation dialog informing you that the printer share is available.

[[Image:screenshot-printer-verified.png]]

Click the '''forward''' icon and select you printer make from the list. I choose '''Epson''' of course and click the '''forward''' icon.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter7.png]]

Select the printer model from the list. In my case, '''Stylus C88'''.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter8.png]]

I leave the default printer driver as is and click the '''forward''' icon. The next dialog informs you that the system is going to create a new printer using the information that we entered. In my case, a new printer, '''Epson''', at '''smb://johnson/shrek/epson88'''.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter9.png]]

Click the '''apply''' icon to create the new printer.

[[Image:screenshot-newprinter10.png]]

Now we're back at the original dialog, the one we saw when we first invoked the printing utility from the top panel. This time our new printer is shown as installed. Just a few more details and we're done. Simply set the printer as default by selecting the '''make default printer''' button and print a test page to make sure that our new printer is functioning as we expect it to.

No comments: