Saturday, December 30, 2006

Installing Fedora Core 6 - First Boot

FirstBoot: When you reboot your Fedora Core 6 system for the first time after installation FirstBoot runs. You are greeted with the welcome screen. Here's how I handle FirstBoot:

Click 'forward'. Agree to the license terms by selecting 'Yes. I agree to the license agreement' and click 'forward'. As in previous installations I'm opting not to use the firewall so I'm setting it as 'disabled'. Click forward. Click 'yes' at the warning box to override the existing firewall.
I've also chosen to disable SELinux. Choose 'disabled' and click 'forward'. Another warning box. Click 'yes'. Set the date and time. I choose not to use Network Time Protocol. To me it's just another drag on the system and I really don't think I need it. Click 'forward'. Create your user. Enter the username you want to use. Use all lower case here. Enter your full name and choose a password. Add as many users as you like and click 'forward'. Test sound: I click on the arrow to run the sound test, I hear the sound sample, so I click 'yes' and 'finish'. Since I disabled the firewall and SELinux I am prompted to reboot. Click 'ok' to reboot.

Next up: Reaching the desktop for the first time

No comments: