Saturday, December 30, 2006

Installing Fedora Core 6 - The Install

Today I decided to do yet another install of Fedora Core 6. I guess I want to get it right, not that my previous installs are problematic. I'm installing from the previously burned DVD. Let's start.

Boot your computer from the DVD or disk 1 of the set up CD's. When you get to the boot prompt type 'linux i686'. There's a known bug with the anaconda installer and some folks are getting the i586 kernel installed. Using the 'linux i686' command line parameter gives you a fighting chance of actually installing the i686 kernel. You now have the option to test the installation media. Do so if you wish. I'm skipping this step as I know that the disk is fine. The next screen gives you the chance to read the Fedora Core 6 release notes. Click next. Choose your default language. Click next. Choose your default keyboard layout. Click next. Choose whether this will be an upgrade or a full install. Full install here. Click next. Choose the partition to install Fedora Core 6 to. I have several available. I choose the one I want, hda10, and I edit the mount point, which will be '/' and choose to format this partition as ext3. Click next. The installer warns you that you are about to format partition hda10. Click next or ok. Next is the grub options screen. Edit this as you see fit. I chose to leave FC6 as the default operating system. You can make changes to the grub bootloader later. Click next. Choose your network configuration. I prefer to leave everything as is here. DHCP will be just fine for now. I will change things later. Select your time zone. Click next. The next screen is where you choose a root password. You should select something fairly complex. Write it down somewhere. Click next. On this screen you can choose to install additional software at this time. You can also install additional software at a later time. I choose to leave things as they are. I want to get Fedora Core 6 installed. I'll add software later. The system checks dependencies for the requested packages. Click next. The install begins. On my system installation takes around 20 minutes. Remove the DVD and reboot into your new Fedora Core 6 installation.

Next up: First Boot

No comments: