Tuesday, January 2, 2007

The search begins



Ok, play time is over. Christmas and New Years' day have past. It's Jan 2, 2007. In 10 days I'll be 50. Time to try to end my unexpected vacation. Since Dec 20, when I was laid off, I haven't done anything about finding a job. It's not that I'm lazy. I just figured that I'd wait 'till after the holidays. Well, here I am. So what did I do today about feeding the family you ask? I polished up my resume’, searched several on-line help wanted thingys, made a few calls and sent a few e-mails. Even got a reply from one e-mail. So did I really look for a job or did I just screw around on the 'net? You tell me. At any rate, this is the easy part, using the computer and internet to find a job. It's nameless and faceless. I could be applying for these jobs in my underwear, unshowered and stubble faced. But I need to go out and 'pound the pavement'. I need to decide what I'd like to do and stop in and actually ask someone face to face if they're hiring. Apparenty. if you e-mail your resume' and they're not interested, they do nothing, don't even tell you that they don't need your services. You are sort of just left hanging, wondering if they even looked at your stuff. I guess that if you've heard nothing in a week's time you may as well forget that one. Pretend that you never applied. Actually going into a business in person, that's different. You need to shave and shower, put on clean clothes, nice clothes at that (gotta make a good impression, right?) and 'put your best foot forward'. Wonder what day I'm going to do that. The clothes part? I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy. Anything more and I'm 'dressed up'. Doesn't feel right. I don't even act the same if I'm not in my jeans and tee's. I'll have to be humble. I'll be a beggar. I need work, but do I really want to work here? What are they paying? What are the hours? Saturdays? Overtime? Vacation? Holidays? Health plan? Smoking or non smoking? Can I bring my dog? Has this building been tested? Free parking? WTF? Should I take the job or try for something better? What if I turn THEM down and don't find anything else for a week or two? Guess I'll just keep e-mailing those resumes'.

No comments: