Saturday, October 13, 2007

Google Earth

===Google Earth===
[[#Installing Google Earth|Installing Google Earth]]

[[#Small Problem|Small Problem]]

=====Installing Google Earth=====
Download Google Earth from [http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html here]. My downloads save to my desktop, but I usually install from the /opt folder. To move the installer to opt open a terminal and as root type
mv /home/glenn/Desktop/GoogleEarthLinux.bin /opt/
Change to the /opt folder by typing
cd /opt
and run the installer by typing
sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin
The first thing you will see is the license agreement.

[[Image:gglearth1.png]]

Click '''I Agree'''. The next screen gives you a chance to change a few destination folders.

[[Image:gglearth2.png]]

I leave these at the default and click 'Begin Install'. Next screen is just the actual install progress

[[Image:gglearth3.png]]

When that process completes you will see this screen

[[Image:gglearth4.png]]

Informing you that Google Earth was successfully installed. Here's a screen shot of Google Earth running for the first time on my laptop.

[[Image:gglearth5.png]]

=====Small Problem=====
Note that on my laptop with Intel video and drivers that once I zoomed in closer than 700 miles the image seemed to 'white out', It got worse as I got closer, and eventually became a totally white image. I found help on [http://www.fedoraforum.org Fedora Forum] where it was suggested that you disable ''atmosphere'' through Google Earth's menu under '''view > atmosphere'''. I did just that and restarted Google Earth. The problem was solved.

No comments: