Saturday, October 13, 2007

Java

=====Java=====
I downloaded Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com:80. I use the self extracting file which is the second one listed. When the download finishes I move the file to /opt.
mv /home/glenn/Desktop/jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin /opt/ The reason I move the file to /opt is that this is where I tend to install from.
Now I change to the /opt folder
cd /opt
and run the binary installer.
sh jre-6u2-linux-i586.bin
The install creates a new folder under /opt called jre1.6.0_02. Now I need to link '''libjavaplugin_oji.so''' to my browser plugins folders.
ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.5/plugins/
and
ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
Done. Restart Firefox. Type '''about:plugins''' in the url bar and you will see that the java plugins are now installed. I usually google the term ''test java'' and hit the first link that is displayed to test Java's operation. If the java plugin is still not working you may need to install '''compat-libstdc++-33'''. To do that, open a terminal as root and type
yum install compat-libstdc++-33
Restart Firefox and test Java again.

No comments: