Saturday, October 13, 2007

Laptop Sound I

=====Laptop Sound=====
After months of trying to get sound out of my Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 I finally win! The sound 'card' on the laptop is
[glenn@toshiba ~]$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

I've tried every tutorial I could find and even played around over at ALSA's web site. Nothing. Then I was reading a post at the [http://www.fedoraforum.org Fedora Forum], followed a link here: http://blog.justinconover.com/ and my sound now works. Here's what Justin says to do.
1. yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
2. yum install mercurial
3. cd /usr/src
4. mkdir alsa && cd alsa
5. hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver alsa-driver
6. cd alsa-driver
7. hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel alsa-kernel
8. ./hgcompile && make install - Failed here for lack of kernel source. Side trip to install source
yum install kernel-devel (rerun step 8 after kernel-devel is installed)
9. echo options snd-hda-intel model=3stack > /etc/modprobe.d/sound
10. modprobe snd-hda-intel
11. system-config-soundcard - This failed
12. reboot Sound works!

I posted the fact that sound now works on a few Linux related web forums hoping that other users with the 82801G sound card could get their sound working also. I also mentioned
that I wondered what would happen when there was a kernel update. A member of one of those sites replied:


just do step 8, 10, and 12 when you update your kernel.
you shouldn't have to reboot though, try just restarting X, log out and back in. if you don't restart X when you logout, you can disable that, you will
have to go to runlevel3 and then back to runlevel5.
Currently I'm using Linux toshiba 2.6.22.4-65.fc7 #1 SMP Tue Aug 21 22:36:56 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I'll have to see what happens when the next kernel update is available for Fedora 7.

The next kernel update is complete, as shown below

[glenn@toshiba ~]$ uname -ra
Linux toshiba 2.6.22.5-76.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Aug 30 13:47:21 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
I followed the advice above, repeating steps 8,10 and 12. No sound, so I rebooted the system and sound works again. This is good.

No comments: