Saturday, December 30, 2006

Rude Awakening

So the whole family was asleep at 4:45 am Friday, December 15 when I thought I heard a series of loud crashing sounds. Of course I awoke and since I'm on a main road in town I ran to the front window and threw open the sash to see what was the matter. There it was, my wife's '97 Voyager, up on the sidewalk at a 45 degree angle, with the left rear of the van caved in. We all ran outside to see if we could administer first aid to our beloved grocery getter. Approaching the vehicle we noticed that the left front was also severely damaged. How's that happen? The van was hit in the left rear by another mini van. My guess is that the offending mini van then spun 180 degrees and whacked the front of the g-getter for good measure. Traveling further still, the offending vehicle then proceeded to wreak havok on the neighbor's car, one house down! The offending vehicle then came to rest in the middle of the street, backwards, with the front end severely damaged. The offending vehicle operator claimed to the authorities that he was only going 35 mph! Yeah, sure you were bud. The g-getter was declared a total loss four days later by our friendly local vehicle appraiser. We'll get a chunk of cash from the insurance company (only right considering the chunk of cash we gave them) and we'll get a new or good used car. Trouble is, while we were sleeping, innocent as we were, we unknowingly incurred the need for additional expense, via a car friggin loan! That's the part that really bugs me. I don't want another expense to pay every month. Wasn't my fault the car was hit. Remember? I was goddam ASLEEP! WTF? Shouldn't the offending vehicle operator provide me with the means to replace the vehicle HE destroyed?

No comments: