Saturday, December 30, 2006

Totally blown away!

It's pretty amazing to me to see just how much the people in your life care about you. It's not something that I take for granted but buy the same token it's not something that I think about often. As I stated in a previous post, I was laid off from my job last Wednesday. Merry Christmas not! Since that time I've been in contact with many of the people that I had dealt with on a daily basis. They were all surprised to hear that I was dismissed and wished me well, offering to help me in any way that they could. I've also received calls from ex fellow employees who have expressed their shock and sadness at my departure and offering well wishes. This has never happened before. This is good. People actually care about me and my family's welfare. This behavior just blows me away, for lack of a better term. I'm not used to working in a place where the people you work with and the people you service every day genuinely care about you. It's a nice feeling. It's a wonderful thing knowing that the folks that you come in contact with every day are there for you when your life is suddenly turned in a direction that wasn't in the original plans. They will help you out for the price of a phone call. We may not think often enough about who our friends really are. We're busy. There's a certain amount of pressure to perform, to act a certain way, do this, don't do that, watch what you say or you may offend. Is that what's really important? We're all moving so fast just to carve out a living that we seldom take the time to remember what's important in life. Many times we are concerned only with those things that can benefit us. But that's partly survival. It's tough out there sometimes. In the end, I may not have a job right now, but I have my wife and kids. I have my family and friends. What's more, when I find a new job I know that there will be people there that will become friends and they will grow to care about me, and I them. I've always felt that there was some truth to the phrase "it's a dog eat dog world". Just don't eat the dogs that are on your side.

No comments: