Saturday, January 20, 2007

Time to reinstall Windows XP - Part 3

Five updates so far. Seems to me that the updates used to be endless. I'm back at the desktop after a 22 second bootup. Still hard to beat in terms of fast booting. My fastest booting Linux distro is probably in the 40-45 second range. Looking good here. Updates appear to be done for a while, all my hardware has been configured and is working, I can surf the web and send/receive e-mail. I still need to install Java and Flash/Shockwave. I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. I just remembered, I have IE7. Wonder if Flash and Java will work with it? Wow! Flash was easy! I googled 'test flash' and picked the first Adobe page listed. Popup said 'click to run activex' . I do and Flash/Shockwave is installed automatically. Couldn't be easier. On to Java. That turns out to be a little more involved, but non the less simple. So, Java and Flash work with IE7. Nice! Whether you like it or not, surfing the web is barren without them. I went back to Linux for a while. Needed to get e-mail and such, but I'm back, screwing around with XP. Windows is now telling me that updates are available. This will be the sixth update, I believe. There's only one update, a security update for IE7. I'll get it and be done with it and I don't even need to reboot. That's different for Windows. I haven't done much tweaking on this install yet. I ran msconfig, despised by some, and stopped a few programs from starting at boot. The Java update scheduler and three items related to my NVidia card. When I rebooted one of the NVidia applets was back. I'm not going to worry about it. Let it be. I did, however, add a printer. Our Epson Stylus Color 880 is connected to a computer that runs Fedora and serves as a print server of sorts as well as a place for use to back up to and there's a very small web site that I've been playing with. I used the usual 'add printer' option from the printers window and installed the Epson no problem. Something just occured to me. I lied about the hardware being all set. Still haven't got the correct USB 2.0 drivers so that device needs attention. Last time I tried to update the drivers for my USB I said it didn't work and that I would probably have to wait until I did a few updates. What do you know, after the six updates I tried updating the USB driver and it worked. Windows found the correct drivers and installed them. Now all my hardware is good to go. My work here may be done. Unless there's more updates. I can't imagine. Guess I can go play now.

Later that day: Glenn installs Windows Media Player updates which will bring version to 11. Pretty nice interface. Won't work with my M4P files though. Am I really going to have to install ITunes. I don't wanna! Hmmmm.... Gotta restart the computer before I get to play with Media Player. Guess that's the price you pay for Windows.

No comments: