Sunday, January 28, 2007

Where Are All The Linux User Groups

There seems to be a lack of Linux user groups in my geographical area. For that matter, I don't even personally know anyone that uses Linux. I'm just a lone Linux user, yearning for someone to talk to about my passion. I live north of Boston, Mass, and have spent the last 2 days scouring the Internet for user groups. This is not the first time I've looked around. I've looked before and didn't find anything I was interested in, so I just forgot about it for a while. I know that there are several in Massachusetts, but most of them are 20 miles or more from me, with the majority being even further away. I know, 20 miles is nothing, but to get from my house to a major highway, RT128 or 95, takes 20 friggin minutes alone. There's a group in Chelmsford, Mass, but that would be a 45 minute drive for me, each way. There's a few Boston groups, but I don't do Boston unless I really have to. Anything south of my house is evil, know what I mean? Then there's Worcester, Mass. Lesse, that's probably an hour and a half one way. Don't think so. There's the North Shore Computer Society. They meet in Peabody, Mass. That's more realistic, but it doesn't look as though they do Linux. They're web site mentions help for Windows and Mac with no mention of Linux. Then there's New Hampshire and Maine. I think there are 3 groups in New Hampshire and maybe 1 in Maine. Those 2 states are pretty much out of the question. It's just not reasonable for me to drive 60 to 100 miles one way for a 1-2 hour get together. So I guess that if I want a local group I'll have to start my own. Interested? If you live to the north of Boston in the Beverly/Salem area, and this area is convenient enough for you, leave a comment or e-mail me. Maybe we can get something started. Meanwhile, I just keep plying the web in my own little Linux world.

No comments: